Frozen Credit? Applying for a Mortgage? Here is what to do…

If you’re applying for a mortgage loan and have frozen credit files, you must unfreeze them with the credit bureaus in order for a lender to pull your credit report. To do this, you must contact each credit bureau directly, typically by mail, telephone or online, to obtain a file access PIN and/or request that the file be unfrozen. You can unfreeze your file permanently or temporarily, however if temporarily, you may need to provide further authorization in order for your mortgage loan officer to pull your credit file.




  • Equifax® requires a four-character PIN
  • TransUnion® issues an eight-character access code beginning with the letters “TU”
  • Experian® uses a PIN up to 15 characters long (Experian has a separate authorization mechanism that does not use a PIN, but requires your mortgage lender to certify that they have a financial relationship with you.)

To unfreeze your credit line with each credit bureau, regardless of the method you choose (by phone, mail or online), be prepared with the following information:

  • Your complete name including any suffix (e.g., Jr., Sr., etc.)
  • Complete address
  • Social Security number
  • Date of birth
  • Proof of identity, such as a valid driver’s license, birth certificate, Social Security card, passport, state or military ID, etc.
  • Proof of address, such as a valid driver’s license, utility or cell phone bill, bank or mortgage statement, pay stub, etc.
  • Payment, if required. Fees vary by state.

Please refer to each credit bureau’s state-specific requirements below. 

Equifax >> 

Experian >> 

TransUnion >>



Online Click here and complete the form By phone Call 800.349.9960 By mail Submit your request in writing to: Equifax Security Freeze P.O. Box 105788 Atlanta, GA 30348



Online Click here and complete the form By phone Call 1.888.EXPERIAN (397-3742) By mail Submit your request in writing to: Experian P.O. Box 9554 Allen, TX 75013

Please note, residents of Washington, D.C. must submit their request to permanently remove a security freeze in writing.


Online Click here and complete the form. By phone Call 888.909.8872


By mail Complete the Lift section of the Security Freeze Form that was sent to you with the Security Freeze information letter (sent to you after you requested the security freeze), and mail it to the address shown at the bottom of the form. When selecting the start date, be sure to allow mail delivery time for your request to lift the Security Freeze by mail. It may take longer if you have lost the Security Freeze PIN.


Source CreditPlus :


This information is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon in lieu of consultation with appropriate legal advisors. Credit Plus is not responsible for any damages or losses arising from any use of this information.

Need help? Contact us today on my cell at 480.251.6141 or at the office at 480.553.8770

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *